Sunday, 17 April 2011

Happy weekend

How could I not love a weekend that started with a Waterloo sunset like this?



















After a roundtrip to Wigan yesterday for a final bridesmaid dress fitting (yes, it fits!), today I was not good for anything more strenuous than a spot of scrapbooking with some of the pretty new things I bought from Ally Pally last weekend. Want to see?


















This primary-coloured page is about a lovely night out at the London Word Festival (which is on right now, definitely worth checking out if you're London-based). Those suspended luggage tags you can see is a work entitled 'the tree of lost things', in which everyone is invited to write onto a tag a thing they have lost. These range from the pragmatic ("my gloves on the 7:35 from Brighton") to the prosaic ("my heart to a starship trooper") and reading them is an absolute joy.

The page is based on this one of Shimelle's from the March bit of the 4x6 photo love project, but mine is simpler with two landscape photos rather than three portrait and uses misting to replace further embellishment.
It features Studio Calico, Sassafras, October Afternoon's Thrift Shop and Mr Huey's hotdog mist. Is it just me, or does mist have a tendency to go absolutely everywhere? It got me, my oilskin crafting cloth and even the carpet (oops!) in the process, but I do like the effect. And I can recommend 'Vanish' as being rather good at getting mist out of carpets.


















This page also involves misting, but as a method of distressing, along with some ink splatters, so it was even messier! More Thrift Shop and more Sassafras on this one, which is about the bookshop Shakespeare and Co, which is as much a refuge and a library as a shop and has a writers room, typewriter and piano amongst it's treasures. In a back room, I found a clock with a cracked face, which well suits the sense that time has stopped here.

In other news, my basil is growing! Here are the first little shoots, watched over by Gabriel the Toad.
I am attempting to grow herbs and salad on window sills. My chives aren't growing at all which is surprising considering it is meant to be the easiest of the lot, but no, it's the rocket that's winning so far.
Happy new week!

No comments:

Post a Comment